“The State of Natural Perfumery” feature article rated #3 on Basenotes

Originally published Jan. 3, 2013

 Due to personal circumstances, I didn’t release a new perfume last year, the first time this has happened since I launched Anya’s Garden Perfumes in 2006.  Perfumes require much emotional involvement, and after the death of my mother,  I just stayed low and went about what I love most – working with the worldwide members of the natural perfumery community.

toptenPart of this outreach was checking the pulse of what natural perfumers around the world were thinking, creating, and predicting.  Not being Guild-centric, I reached out to several acquaintances and included them in the article. Those who participated included Tanja Bochnig of April Aromatics, Elise Pearlstine of Bellyflowers Perfumes, Christian David of Honore des Pres, Alexandra Balahoutis of Strange Invisible Perfumes, Tammy Frazer of Frazer Parfums, Jane Hendler of Ajne Parfumerie, Eleanor Jane of Tallulah Jane Perfumes NYC and myself.

Imagine my surprise today when Basenotes, one of the top three (don’t know how to measure the rankings, but I know they’re up there) released their “Most Viewed on Basenotes 2012” and my article was rated #3 Feature by page views.  Knowing 1) that I have non-political blogs that value my work and 2) that natural perfumery is *really* of interest on a non-natural perfumery website is heartwarming and a great way to kick off the new year.  Edited to add:  I really should call it “our” article since it would not have been possible without the participation of the other seven perfumers.

Basenotes – Most viewed Features from 2012

  1. Guerlain UK Launch of La Petite Robe Noire by Judith Brockless
  2. Collecting vintage perfume – an Interview with Barbara Herman of Yesterday’s Perfume by Lila Das Gupta
  3. The State of Natural Perfumery 2012 by Anya McCoy (after you click to read it, please return and leave a comment – I’d love to hear from you!
  4. Acqua di Parma revisit Iris – the London launch of Iris Nobile Sublime by Persolaise
  5. Book Review: The Alchemy of Scent by Jean Claude Ellena by Thomas Dunckley
  6. Romano Ricci on new release Mad Madame and new Paris shop, Nose by Lila Das Gupta
  7. Stages on Scent’s Way by Christopher Peterson
  8. Winter Warmers Round Up by Nick Gilbert
  9. Filth, Glorious Filth! by Nick Gilbert
  10. An interview with Gérald Ghislain – the mastermind of Histoires de Parfums by Alfarom

Yay!  Real, independent data that shows the increasing interest in natural perfumery.  What a way to start the year!

Would you, dear reader, care to leave a comment about what your take is on the state of natural perfumery?  I’d love to hear from you.

5 Comments

  1. Thank you for a very nice article. What I have noticed lately is that the larger perfume houses seem more interested in release hype and star power to get their product noticed than actual development of new and interesting fragrances. The result has been that all the fragrances start to smell similar. With the development of the niche houses and natural perfumery has been a resurgence in tha actual art of perfume and the development of new and unique. This is what the consumer looks for and longs to find in the fragrance world. I M firmly convinced that perfume is an art and needs the feedom to develop as such. There is healing power in art and fragrance is no acception. There are limitless opportunities for exploration and I love that natural Perfumerie is picking up the mantle to move forward. Keep up the good work! Anna

    Reply
    • Dear Anna:

      You are very perceptive. I’ve also noticed a trend in niche and artisan houses to release an excessive amounts of perfumes. What’s the rush? Perfumes are works of art, not pushers of commerce. I caution to be thoughtful, methodical and yes, conservative. Make sure each perfume is a masterpiece, not just an object of conversation/publicity.

      Hmmmmmm,
      Anya

      Reply
  2. Awesome blog post, Anya. I have blended essential oils and used them in my therapy practice for years. Now I am leaning toward creating more complex blends and expanding my focus to include pleasure, ritual and self-love. I enjoyed reading your interviews, and I am thoroughly enjoying your blog.

    Reply
    • Thanks for your kind words, Dana. Subscribe so you make sure to get all the updates. If you wish to further your studies, check out my educational offerings at http://PerfumeClasses.com

      xoxo,
      Anya

      Reply
  3. I remember when this article came out, and read it then. but reading it now, I was more aware of certain aspects that I wasn’t then and am glad I read it again. yes, it is nice hearing different artists express where they are in therms of the art, which allows the reader to get his own idea of where the art is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boxgasm - for perfumers, aromatherapists, bath and body manufacturers, chandlers. What the heck is a boxgasm? Well, read below and you may have one.

Ask the Perfumer Sunday Oct 21, 2012

Contest: Fresh ginger, fresh ginger, wherefort art thou fresh ginger?