I’m Available to Assist Perfumers on several forums

 Originally posted April 10, 2013

I’m always happy to help hobby and professional perfumers. Here’s a good question that was asked today in the Yahoo group I host, and here’s my answer. Perhaps it can help someone else!

The iconic image that has graced the homepage of the Yahoo Natural Perfumery group I've hosted since 2002
The iconic image that has graced the homepage of the Yahoo Natural Perfumery group I’ve hosted since 2002

> I was just given a sample in Shopper’s Drugmart of a product that states, “100% of the total ingredients are from natural origin”. Upon reading the list it ends with “…Tocopherol, Linalool, Limonene, Geraniol, Coumarin ”
>
> Please correct me if I’m wrong. I understand that tocopherol may be vitamin E oil. The next few ingredients would be natural isolates, correct? Does anyone know what the letters and numbers inside the brackets mean?
>
> Thanks a bunch for helping me out,
> Suzy
>

Hi Suzy:

The tocopherol is a form of vitamin E oil, added to help retard
oxidation. The others are not isolates, they are chemical
constituents of essential oils/absolutes that the manufacturer
listed to conform to the EU/IFRA list of potential allergens.
The final number might be a lot/batch number.

HTH,
Anya

http://AnyasGarden.com/
http://NaturalPerfumers.com/
http://PerfumeClasses.com/

3 Comments

  1. Hi,
    I am a new perfumer and having a bit of anxiety about creating tinctures from some absolutes. What dilutions should I start with? 50%? 95%? I did a 20% dilution from some lilac absolute and it is so faint I can barely smell it. Since then, I’ve developed cold feet. Can you help?
    Thanks!

    Reply
  2. Hi Mary Ellen:

    Feel free to ask this on the Sunday “Ask the Perfumer” forum here. Subscribe to the blog so you get emails reminding you.

    Anya

    Reply
  3. I’m pretty pleased to discover this website. I really appreciate your work and I can’t waiting for your further posts. Thanks!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boxgasm - for perfumers, aromatherapists, bath and body manufacturers, chandlers. What the heck is a boxgasm? Well, read below and you may have one.

Ask the Perfumer Sunday Oct 21, 2012

Contest: Fresh ginger, fresh ginger, wherefort art thou fresh ginger?