Ask the Perfumer forum Jan. 12, 2014 – and a Vetiver house πŸ™‚

 

Ask the Perfumer forum Jan. 12, 2014 – and a Vetiver house πŸ™‚

by  | Jan 12, 2014 | Perfume From Your Garden book | 4 comments

I’m reposting some of my photos and brief comments from my Perfume From Your Garden Book page on Facebook here. There are a lot of comments on that page, so if you’d like to join us there, please do. It can be found here.

From last week:

People could hollow this out for a tiny hut!

People could hollow this out for a tiny hut!

Whew! Just finished up the Plant Pages for the book Perfume From Your Garden, but I need to go back and rework the charts on each plant, which includes growing information and extraction methods. The last plant is ylang-ylang, but I thought that this photo of vetiver roots would stop you in your tracks. It can grow to 4 meters – that’s right, 12 feet. There are reports of 6-meter-long harvests in commercial operations. I grow mine in pots ranging from 2 to 3 feet in depth, and that provides more than enough vetiver for my uses. It takes 18 months to mature and does need subtropical temps.

I’ll be here for your perfumery questions in the Ask the Perfumer forum until 10 PM ET USA tonight

 

4 Comments

  1. Where can I buy vertiver? it is a seed or live plant?

    Reply
    • Eileen, go to http://companionplants.com and buy one tiny plant, when you get it, put it in a huge pot, and I mean at least 20-gallon pot, maybe two or three feet tall and two to three feet diameter, full of soil, and in 18 months you’ll have a huge rootball to harvest.

      Reply
  2. Hi Anya,

    I’m posting this here in hope that some time in the future you’ll find this and have time to answer πŸ™‚
    I’m trying to build cestrum nocturnum accord, but I’m a bit at loss. I can’t really figure out what is that sweetness there.. It’s not jasmine, nor clove, nor ylang.. And that juicy greenness.. argh! Everything I tried so far didn’t go in the right direction.. Any tips on where to start (and where to go..) would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks πŸ™‚

    Reply
    • Sorry, Nizan, I’ve never worked on that. I have a little bit of the absolute left, which I may never be able to get again, and I make a tincture of the flowers. Maybe you can try tincturing?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boxgasm - for perfumers, aromatherapists, bath and body manufacturers, chandlers. What the heck is a boxgasm? Well, read below and you may have one.

Ask the Perfumer Sunday Oct 21, 2012

Contest: Fresh ginger, fresh ginger, wherefort art thou fresh ginger?