Ask the Perfumer 5/19/2013 and 100% Natural Fragrance and the Guild

Originally published May 19, 2013

I welcome any questions about what constitutes a 100% natural fragrance today.  The Natural Perfumers Guild, which I head, will be seven years old on June 1st. It’s the only trade association devoted to 100% natural perfume.  That simple sentence hides a lot of controversy, challenges, and, ultimately, rewards.

Every major controversy, and there have been a handful, within the Guild has centered around members, or outsiders, defining what natural is, on their terms.  Sometimes it’s a “greenwashing” issue, sometimes it’s naiveté, and on a few awkward occasions, subterfuge. The Guild members have worked on various committees and writing projects to help us move forward in defining natural perfume and set standards for member compliance.  The ultimate goal is to preserve and enhance the art, educate the public and promote our artisans, and make us a self-regulating

Chinese honeysuckle: a fragrant, beautiful new addition to the natural perfumer's palette

Chinese honeysuckle: a fragrant, beautiful new addition to the natural perfumer’s palette

association in the eyes of governments.

I’ve been blogging about these issues since 2006, the same year I revived the Guild (it existed briefly, for one year, in 2002).  I’ve hosted a huge natural perfumery Yahoo group since 2002, and with those two historic entities, I can safely say I’ve been witness to of all the issues and opportunities of modern natural perfumery.  I’ve interacted with thousands, yes, thousands, of people worldwide, from every spectrum of the perfumery world. I see the Guild, and the Natural Perfumery Institute as setting very high, very professional standards for 100% natural perfumery.

The Guild membership fees are reduced through June 1st, and I welcome you to join us.  Please visit the Guild website at http://NaturalPerfumers.com and join us.  If you have any questions, please feel free to ask here, on my Sunday forum, Ask the Perfumer.  I’ll be here until 10 PM ET, USA.

PS: Other than the logo, there is no perfume bottle or commercial image on the Guild website.  Why? We want to highlight the beauty of the fragrant natural plants that are the basis of our creations.  I hope you enjoy the photos I recently uploaded to the site.

2 Comments

  1. I am glad that the guild is around! Besides the new technology…I like the old fashion Perfumery. It looks more romantic 🙂

    Reply
  2. I do wish to study with you and live reading all your posts. I will try to join your studies very soon!
    Cheers,
    Anna

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boxgasm - for perfumers, aromatherapists, bath and body manufacturers, chandlers. What the heck is a boxgasm? Well, read below and you may have one.

Ask the Perfumer Sunday Oct 21, 2012

Contest: Fresh ginger, fresh ginger, wherefort art thou fresh ginger?